Saturday, April 05, 2014

Moss returns: "Tolls will set back regionalism," and that's not all.

Dale Moss has returned, and of course I'm delighted that in his first column for the News and Tribune, he gave me a shout-out -- but only because his point about the beer revolution resonated with me after a difficult week spent barely tolerating the new generation of auto-erotic narcissists.

Dale's observation about the toll-driven bridges project is repeated below. Climb the paywall to read the rest.

MOSS: Some thoughts while dreaming of a nap, by Dale Moss (N and T)

... Some days, when the nap is interrupted and lunch does more to me than for me, I do not believe I will live to see new bridges open or my Hoosiers win every basketball game they should. Other days, I believe in the future like I did that I’d always have hair and energy. I have quit believing that the Pulitzer Prize committee finally will come its senses. But I still believe my wife might give up expecting me to make the bed.

Anyway, as part of my reintroduction to you, after all those years in that other newspaper, here is some else of what I believe:

I believe we will adjust to Ohio River bridge tolls like we do to paying for 1,000 TV channels and 1 million cell telephone minutes. But the tolls will set back regionalism, will especially pinch Southern Indiana work commuters plus any business that relies on metrowide appeal. I believe that tolls should not have been an absolute must. A recent study confirms the incredible economic boost new bridges will provide. If any project is worthy of Uncle Sam playing sugar daddy, this one is.

No comments: