Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Scotland: Should it stay or should it go?

It's a fascinating topic, this potential Scottish statehood, but unfortunately the gist for me is a feeling of being ever more isolated in my own place. Independence for Indiana, Kentucky or Floyd County would stem from a fervent desire for fewer, not more, democratic values.

I'm not ready for King Seabrook and the Sheriff of Bushingham. The expatriatism option seems ever more appealing. Yuck.

If I were a Scot, I might vote yes to independence. As it is, I can only plead with them to stay, by Jonathan Freedland (Guardian)

Ignored for so long, it's little wonder so many in Scotland are straining to break away. But heaven help us all if they do

... This, then, is what's driving so many Scots to consider making the break: a despairing fear that, given the way a few marginal seats in middle England can decide UK elections, Britain will never again return to the kind of social democratic values that still find a ready consensus in Scotland. It's not that the Scots are leaving Britain – it's that Britain has left them.

No comments: