Wednesday, October 09, 2013

R.I.P. Mike Robison.

Michael Lee “Mike” Robison

Mike Robison was a Public House regular from the very start, and probably was hanging out at Sportstime Pizza before he was legal age. He may have been drinking, even if his favorite beer (Guinness) wasn't yet on tap.

I couldn't tell you when I started getting to know Mike. Like so many others I'd never have met if not for our food and drink business, he just became part of the scenery after a while, and at various times, we'd have the chance to chat a bit more expansively than business as usual. I always enjoyed these talks.

Mike died last week at the age of 46, and the service was held on Monday. What I'll remember about him is although he enjoyed cultivating a distinct visual presence -- slightly larger than normal stature, usually bearded, long hair, preferring colors like black -- underneath it all he was an honest and purely gentle soul, one who flourished in a tight circle of friends, but always sought to be helpful to people in general.

It took me a few days to muster words for this remembrance. Mike died far too young, didn't he?

No comments: