Sunday, March 04, 2012

You mean there's another King Larry?

It is rare, indeed, when I even bother reading the business section of the Sunday edition of the New York Times, much less care very much about what I see when I do. As the exception that proves the rule, I give you my unusual experience today, and the new book about Larry Hillblom prompting it.

The Bizarre Road of a DHL Founder, by Bryan Burrough

Imagine the billionaire founder of a major American corporation suddenly waltzing away from his executive duties to spend the rest of his days as a glorified sex tourist, trolling the dives and brothels of Vietnam and the Philippines for pubescent girls. Hard to picture, right? Yet that is exactly the story that James D. Scurlock tells in his terrific new book, “King Larry: The Life and Ruins of a Billionaire Genius” (Scribner).

No comments: