Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Quills Coffee is open today, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The physical space is beautiful, and I'm delighted Quills is here in New Albany.

Quill's on Facebook

I know it, you know it, and the Quills ownership knows it: For Quills to become the "third space" option downtown New Albany so desperately needs, its hours of operation will have to extend further into the evening; the Baxter Avenue location is open until 10:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday (6:00 p.m. on Sunday). By contrast, in New Albany the hours will be 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., seven days a week.

My (and their) opinion is that they'll get there soon enough, and by mentioning it, I'm merely pointing to the obvious. We have numerous fine dining establishments downtown, but few (perhaps none?) offer an evening coffee option beyond the standard drip. Much to my regret, my own establishment does not. Also, a coffee shop like Quills can be a huge factor in training the next generation to look downtown; if this seems odd, consider the demographic inhabiting Coffee Crossing on the north side. Those too young or disinclined to hang out in bars find a home at coffee shops.

Later this morning, I'm heading to the newly minted New Albany Quills to sample the espresso, which remains the true test, sans milk, cream, sugar and all the other extraneous substances. Is Billow, the cigar dispensary next door, open mornings? I'm already seeing a decline in disposable income -- and I'm loving it.

No comments: