Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Lion in Winter.

Long the guiding force behind the 1117 East Spring Street Neighborhood Association, Commandante Nero is shown here resting after a satisfying tuna snack.

We've made incorrect assumptions before; now it seems that Nero is in eclipse, with blindness in one eye and occasional bouts of behavior not unlike dementia in humans, though as of yet these symptoms seem quite mild. But there is no sadness, because this cat has lived a very long life. In March, he will be 22.

In recognition of his advancing age and declining health, Nero has asked me to pass along this statement:

“If nominated, I will not accept; if drafted, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve.”

4 comments:

Matthew Nash said...

Forty years ago this year New Albany elected its youngest mayor. He is still younger than Candidate Stumler.

He also has 976 more Facebook friends.

Iamhoosier said...

That is one fine looking cat.

ALL HAIL NERO!

Ann said...

I have a soft spot for cats. I'd vote for Nero.

Looks like a good old kitty cat.

Kate Caufield said...

My daughter just looked over and saw Nero- she wanted to see more pictures of him.