Friday, December 03, 2010

Pronounced guilty at the Thornton's coffee urn -- and other incredible tales of the Open Air Museum.

I received this account earlier today, and with permission, I'm reprinting it. It's just too bad that notoriety doesn't pay better.

Laugh for the day … I was at Thornton’s this a.m. getting my coffee; very crowded as usual.

Two women were sprucing up their coffee, and one said, "Well, the only reason that Roger Baylor is against tolls is because he is afraid it will hurt his business.”

I chimed in and said, "And rightfully so. I think all business owners on both sides of the bridge will be taking a hit, and not just business owners.”

I walked back and topped my coffee off, and the other lady said, "She probably doesn't even know who Roger Baylor is or what kind of business he has,” and for whatever reason, this hit a nerve with me.

I said, “Excuse me ... personally, no, I do not know Roger, and second, does it really matter what kind of business a person has in order to be against tolls?”

The lady looked at me and said: “Well, to give you the heads up, he promotes drunk-ism.”

I said: “He promotes what?”

She gave me this evil look, and said, “Roger Baylor owns his own brewery and bar, he basically promotes drunks out on the roads.”

My mouth flew open and I glanced at her ring finger, saw a band, and said, “Your husband must frequent his place instead of being home with you, or you would not be so quick to be judgmental.”

She flipped her head around, as did the other lady, and they walked out … didn't even pay for their coffee. I sat my cup down, went to the door, and yelled, "I hope you aren't headed across the bridge, and they don't have tolls, or you would get caught for stealing coffee when you stopped to pay the toll.”

The people in the store were roaring laughing.

2 comments:

Kate Caufield said...

New hero.

dan chandler said...

Maybe they left when they realized Thortons sells beer too.