Saturday, December 11, 2010

Do my eyes deceive me? Or is this a local Republican speaking about the Toll Tax ... for attribution?

Best be careful, Danny.

The Clere Channel Thought Police will be watching you from now on. Soon, just like in the Dirty War in Argentina, your words will begin disappearing without a trace. Or, perhaps a better analogy is Chuck Connors on "Branded." They'll go drumming on you for questioning bridges orthodoxy.

But what the hey. All jokes aside, know that I really do appreciate your comments, and we all thank you for them.

As Jeff noted recently, "It's largely due to the scale of the situation, but I give the bridges folks credit for one thing. I don't think I've ever seen the type of unity across multiple demographic variables as I've seen develop in opposition to their 'common enemy' status."
A Tax is a Tax!, by Daniel Short (We the People blog).

Until now, I have not expressed my views openly about the Bridges Project and the tolling associated with it. I am pro-business and low tax kind of guy. That is why I am solidly against tolling existing bridges in our community.

If we build an east end bridge and put a toll on that bridge alone, that is a user fee. While this situation is not ideal, it is tolerable. However, if we toll bridges that already exist and are paid for, that is a TAX. As a conservative, I cannot support that. If this is truly the only way to build a bridge or bridges, then I say don't build them at all.

1 comment:

Antiques Attic said...

I totally agree with "A Tax is a Tax" by Daniel Short
I will also add that my customer base is largly made up of customers from Louisville and beyond which means tolls will at least affect my business initially and maybe long term. I love operating my business in New Albany and have always had faith that it will and can be more. The growth of business in Historic Downtown New Albany has started and is beginning to prosper, what will happen after TOLLS? If the tolls do affect my business I will have no choice but to consider moving it to Louisville.
Katrina Jones
Owner
Antiques Attic