Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Bridges Authority is having a meeting Thursday while you're at work.

I'll be riding my bicycle there, and the natty suits will be aghast at a phenomenon called "sweat." They'll say, you know, if you just took a car, all those wet spots wouldn't happen.

It's all because the Louisville Southern Indiana Bridges Authority has called a special business meeting for Thursday, September 2 at 9:00 a.m. The venue is Kye's in Jeffersonville. If there is a cash bar at that tender hour, I expect to see it stocked with triple-hopped Miller Lite and non-alcoholic wine. It might be time to unretire the flask.

What's this about?

Read this post from last week at The 'Ville Voice: The Bridges Authority Will Examine 8664.

Exactly how it will be examined is the primary question, but there it is. Also, supposedly there'll be discussion of the scaled-down Mississippi River bridges project in St. Louis.

The expectation after a discussion yesterday at my Facebook page, one in which not a single comment was deleted, is that the Bridges Authority will seek to soft-pedal tolling as early as possible, thus permitting previously reticent politicians to don their "S" capes and take credit for the historic compromise. As Karen wrote:
I'm waiting for them to walk back tolls to 50 cents per crossing, act like they're doing us a favor over it, then sit back and watch as the sheep breathe a collective sigh of relief saying, "Well good, at least it isn't $3 per crossing!"
Indeed. By the way, it's Day 11 of the Ed Clere Viewpoint on Tolling Watch, and the forecast is for continued pea soup fog.

3 comments:

Jeff Gillenwater said...

You think any of the Authority folks are burning vacation time to be there? Or are they just going to call in sick?

Karen B said...

My letter to the Tribune has been submitted. The one line I didn't fit in my 400 words was "If tolling is the answer, we're asking the wrong questions." I hope it's published, and I hope it's published in a timely enough fashion that if/when they do walk the toll amount back on Thurs, my letter mentioning the possibility will warn people that it's all just a manipulation.

Steve Magruder said...

8664 and MS Bridges are, as far as I know, going to be covered at the October 7 meeting. I have seen the September 2 agenda, and these items aren't on there.

Still, there's a public comments period, and so, this is very useful to attend.