Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bicycling news on a cold January day as Erika solicits Europa.

I'm getting ready to limber up, bundle up, and saddle up for a brief bicycle ride in the direction of NABC's original location, where I have two faxes to transmit.

Faxing is so very old school, isn't it? Not exactly rotary dial like Cappuccino's cell phone, but perilously close.

First, I need to ride down to the post office on the bike lane created especially for me, and communicate with my dear friends at the IRS. Then it's back through the urban street grid, past Uptown's future gated community, and out to the north side. Following are two links pertaining to people like me who don't drive their cars to the foot of the 50-ft driveway to collect snail spam.

Kentucky Bill Considers Banning Transporting Minors On Bikes, at Broken Sidewalk.

A Kentucky House Bill was submitted January 13 that could make it illegal to transport children on bike on Kentucky state maintained roads. Representative David Osborne, representing a small portion of Jefferson County and part of Oldham County filed the bill but when confronted says he plans not to pursue the proposal.
The Broken Sidewalk piece reminds me of something that fellow cyclist DH sent to me last weekend. It represents the results of her license plate survey, and prompts the usual round of acrimony from distracted drivers. In turn, her nudge reminds me that I should eavesdrop on the Clark County forum more often.

You might want to check out an interesting thread going on about bicycling/driver attitudes on a local forum in Clark County: Bad Drivers, Should I stay away from God?

No comments: