Thursday, November 12, 2009

Today's Tribune column: "Downtown for a reason."

Often I'll be speaking with someone about my bicycling commute to work (either NABC location), and the response will be some variant of this: "You're lucky to be able to do that."

Nope. Luck's nice, but it isn't the same as planning. Both now and previously, my choice of home was made with factors like this in mind. That's why ...

BAYLOR: (We're) downtown for a reason

It was no accident that in 2003, we bought a house on East Spring Street. Granted, there were fortuitous convergences, like being acquainted with the people who were selling the property, but the decision-making process did not occur on a whim, a prayer or a dare.

5 comments:

Daniel Short said...

"a prayer"....nice one Roger.

bayernfan said...

I feel the same way. We chose to live near downtown by choice. While my wife has to drive to work in Louisville each day, I'm able to walk to my current job (and new one!). Not only that, but Mrs. Bayern and I can walk to a number of restaurants downtown as well and, hopefully soon, a grocery co-op. We're only on year Two of the plan, but it's working out very well so far.

The New Albanian said...

Didn't Tina Turner sing that one:

What's prayer
Got to do with it ... got to do with it?

What's prayer ...


Well, everyone knows the rest of it.

lawguy said...

Very well written, Roger.

bayernfan said...

I'm guessing that you haven't received congratulations from the council president for this terrific award? An award that honors a business in the city that he supposedly represents?