Tuesday, September 15, 2009

8664's Tyler Allen announces his candidacy for Mayor of Louisville Metro.

This not unexpected announcement comes to us from the 8664.org mailing list. Tyler becomes the only Louisville mayoral candidate whose number is saved in my cell phone's memory.

One sentence strikes me: "(We have) painted a bold vision for a better solution. Unfortunately, we have also been thwarted in our attempts to get a true conversation started." There's something very close to home about that.

Dear 8664 Supporter,

I wanted you to be among the first to know that I will be stepping aside at
8664.org and announcing tomorrow that I will be a candidate for Mayor of Louisville Metro. I leave 8664.org in the able hands of co-founder JC Stites and a committed advisory board who I would like to thank sincerely for their unwavering support of this critical issue.

These last four years have been an interesting time for our movement. We have raised awareness of the ill-conceived downtown portion of the Ohio River Bridges Project and painted a bold vision for a better solution. Unfortunately, we have also been thwarted in our attempts to get a true conversation started. Even as recently as this summer when it appeared that our Metro Council would be positioned to hold such a conversation, powerful interests seemed to influence them to rubber stamp a new unelected Tolling Authority that will keep this process away from the public.

My experience with 8664 is one of the primary reasons I have decided to seek elected office. It has taught me that many of the most important issues facing this community are deeply connected and the solutions require creativity and commitment. I intend to bring to government the same vision and passion that are fundamental to 8664.

As I move on to a new campaign, be assured that my commitment to 8664 and the vision it represents for the future of this great city will be as strong as ever. As the campaign takes shape, you can learn more about me and take part in the conversation about other issues critical to this city and region at http://www.tyler4mayor.com/.

I look forward to seeing many of you in the months to come. Take care and thank you for your commitment to 8664.

Peace, Tyler

4 comments:

Jeff Gillenwater said...

I'm very pleased that Tyler decided to run. His campaign should bring that vision conversation to the forefront. That's exciting and beneficial for our region.

The New Albanian said...

Great. Now I have two Louisville mayoral candidates worth supporting (Tyler and Nimbus) and zero representation on the New Albany city council. I wonder if the 1117 E Spring Street Neighborhood Association gets its own council person? If so, I nominate Bugsworth (Bug), our youngest cat, primarily because she's been defecating on all varieties of furniture recently, and that strikes me as symbolism that's needed in the council chamber.

Daniel S said...

That's pretty funny. I hope she finds her way to that athletics hat.

Anonymous said...

Finally, a mayoral candidate I can get behind. While I don't have his number in my cell phone, I've known Tyler since before he launched the 8664 campaign. He came to the BBC Taproom with a huge roll of vinyl banners of satellite views of Louisville. His presentation covered site selection for the arena, he chose the water co. site that was defeated and the prototypes for the 8664 waterfront design. I've always thought if he could make that same presentation to the whole of Louisville citizens we'd have 86'd 64 by now.