Saturday, May 02, 2009

Federal funds for Greenway come as a surprise.

Coming soon as a result of the economic stimulus package ...

Greenway gets $3.6M in stimulus money, by David A. Mann (News and Tribune).

The Ohio River Greenway — an effort to join riverfronts in New Albany, Clarksville and Jeffersonville via a pedestrian trail along the Ohio River — will get $3.6 million in federal stimulus money.The money is coming through the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which has jurisdiction of the waterway. The funding was announced in a press release earlier this week, much to the surprise of local officials.

7 comments:

Highwayman said...

So tell me again how much a railroad bridge costs?

Randy said...

A ped bridge for bikes, walkers, and emergency vehicles, built in the same location and adjacent to the K&I to minimize navigational problems, would cost about $1 million, per Steve Wiser, the Louisville architect.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

This is very good news. It's also good that a TIF district is in existence to help provide the necessary local matching funds, unless Coffey and Zurschmeide successfully drain it as part of an obstruction effort.


Bookseller,

Do you know if the K&I or an additional bridge has been included in the federal plan for the Greenway? I'm very much in favor of cross-river connectivity but I wonder if a lengthy approval process for such might put us past a funding deadline.

Randy said...

bluegill: No. And I would assume it would take a mayor devoted to a four-year effort to make such happen.

Barturtle said...

I'm not sure if K&I is mentioned in a Federal Plan, but is is mentioned in the Cornerstone 2020 Ohio River Corridor Master Plan (1996).

G Coyle said...

Books - $1 million, I'm thinking that's how much the planning would eat up... Indeed, that would be good news Bluegill! ARe you people drunk?! The Mayor just blew almost that amount on a friggin party tent!

...wait, it's 9pm on Derby, think I just answered my question...sorry.

The New Albanian said...

Although I'm not drunk (yet - the night is young), and if and when I become drunk, it will have nothing to do with Derby, which I detest, it is sadly true that I've spent so much time today sticking pins into my conjoined Coffey/Price voodoo dolls that there has been no time to contemplate my blog's tragic loss of credibility.