Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Clere: Graphing "secondhand smoke" by means of "secondhand taxation."

Rep. Ed Clere's weekly columns in the Tribune have been quite interesting, as in today's explanation of his position on statewide smoking legislation.

CLERE: Let’s clear the air

Warning: This column will leave some readers fuming. On Thursday, I voted for a statewide smoking ban.

The bill passed the House of Representatives 70-26 and now goes to the Senate for its consideration. If it passes the Senate and the governor signs it, the bill will become law.

“Ban” is misleading. Perhaps “selective prohibition” would be a better
description of what we passed. In its current form, Indiana’s law would be one of the weakest in the country.

Weak ... and Clere concedes that it does little to protect the workers most in need. But follow the link (the money?) and read the reasons why he voted "yea," anyway.

4 comments:

Larry M. Summers said...

Full disclosure: I supported Ed during the campaign season.

I have to say I find it refreshing that Ed makes an effort to inform us of his decision making processes and doesn't mind ruffling a few feathers.

Under the conditions he has been working, I think he has performed quite well. I look forward to the day when he has some seniority and can accomplish some of his goals for this state.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

And Ed was complaining about wasting time?

Daniel Short said...

Dang it, I thought we had a pricipled leader in there. Strike one for me, Mr. Clere.

Christopher D said...

sk tsk tsk