Thursday, December 18, 2008

I'd prefer more wholesome entertainment, say, "Mr. Smith Goes to the Rustic Frog."

Just my luck.

A previously scheduled obligation precludes my attendance at tonight's city council, and wouldn't you know it: ROCK's planning a floor show, although the master of ceremonies is wary of grandstanding in the center ring.


ROCK to protest II Horseshoes at New Albany City Council meeting; Agenda lacking any measure concerning strip club, by Daniel Suddeath (News and Tribune).

A group opposing a new strip club in New Albany promises to plead its case before the City Council Thursday.

Reclaim our Culture Kentuckiana, the Louisville-based organization known as ROCK, sent out an e-mail last week encouraging its members to pack the assembly room of the City/County Building in opposition to II Horseshoes, an adult entertainment business located at 1720 Old River Rd.

While the e-mail states the council will address the club during the meeting, Council President Jeff Gahan said that’s not the case.

“That item is not on our agenda for Thursday,” he said. “I don’t anticipate any presentation or any discussion at this point.”

It looks as if the members of ROCK will be forced to wait until non-agenda public speaking time at meeting's end. After sitting through the usual antics of the conjoined councilmen, they may decide to broaden their definition of "a total disregard for our common goal of decent and wholesome communities where we can live, work and raise a family."

Meanwhile, also on the council's plate:


Former councilman Bill Schmidt has been recommended for appointment to the Building Authority Commission, which requires a vote of approval from the council.

The recommendation probably came from Professor Erika, who has selected Schmidt to father her love child ... wait; got that one wrong. Sorry. Rather, she has chosen him as one of her "outstanding men" of 2008 in New Albany, based on a list of vaguely defined criteria that includes this:

They work hard and play by the rules. And most of all they look out for their neighbors, co-workers, and the many needs of the "little people" of New Albany.

As a humorous side note, Prof. Erika cautions that "names are listed in alphabetical order only," and accordingly, she has Larry Kochert coming before Maurice King.

Kochert?

See what a Bazooka Joe university degree can do?

Here is tonight's meeting agenda.

18 comments:

Iamhoosier said...

If ROCK shows up, I would not count on them having to wait until the non agenda items time period. The rules are made up as we go.

Iamhoosier said...

She got the mailman's name spelled correctly this time, though.

I would request that FOS please publish their definition of "little people". Sorry to have do that here but freedom of speech is not allowed on FOS.

Bayernfan said...

Geez, I can see it now on Steve Price literature in the next election..."Voted as one of the Men of the Year in New Albany in 2008 for my continued opposition to any type of progressive movements, for using the "f" word near the childrens section of the library and for my general ability to piss everyone off...except a woman who pretends to be a man on an internet blog site".

It's a rough draft that I'm playing with before I forward it to Mr. Price. I know I have his email address around here somewhere...

Jeff Gillenwater said...

They corrected the King/Kochert bit.

You missed the really funny part though:

Bill Schmidt - Former City Councilman, and private citizens


They got the plurality right on "citizens". I'm just wondering if "councilwoman" or "councilmen" would be more accurate as the first descriptor.

Iamhoosier said...

And FOS is still stealing other people's writing and posting it as their own.

Or maybe they got permission, then it's just lying.

Liar or thief? Or both?

Bayernfan said...

I just actually took the time to read some other stuff at FOS and I have a question...

How big is this 'staff' she keeps referring to? And why does she seem to have such a hardon for Roger?

Jeff Gillenwater said...

I can't make it to the meeting and I'm genuinely disappointed.

It's a toss up trying to decide which would be more engaging: the ROCK show or finding out who actually thinks Schmidt would be an asset to the Building Authority Commission.

I'm not sure either beats FOS making corrections based on what's posted here, though. It's happened at least twice just today.

Daniel S said...

I just hope Iamhoosier can make it tonight. I need to discuss some drug dealings with last year's IU squad with him, which obviously impacted UK's defeat in 2007 :)

Iamhoosier said...

DS,
I used to think that you were a pretty good reporter.

Now, well, are you on the staff of...?

Iamhoosier said...

You know, bluegill, perhaps they just ought to run the copy through NAC first for editing. It would save their "staff" some time.

Not through me, I never claimed to be a college professor!! I make plenty of mistakes. Of course my name is attached. I'm brave enough to take my lumps.

Bayernfan said...

I got an answer to one of my questions from an anonymous person at FOS. She says there are 30 members on staff at FOS. Strangely enough, she didn't answer my 2nd question...

The New Albanian said...

What's really pathetic about all this, and something that serves as the perfect metaphor for the New Albanian experience, is that FOS doesn't allow comments of any sort. We do, but under reasonable guidelines. Shirley allows all and sundry (but with no foul language, which just means that the slander can proceed in a more genteel manner).

Thus, the people who should be talking to each other do not.

Daniel S said...

Hoosier, I started writing for the Cats Pause. I'm sending you a free subscription for Christmas. I didn't want you to get stuck on the phone line waiting to order. Though our automated response says we will call you back if you're in Indiana and kelvin sampson keeps beeping in.
Roger, i don't know the name of the guy who wears the Gator hat all the time. But he deserves a raise, he's possibly the best server ever.

The New Albanian said...

Both Jeff and Rick are Gators fans. Rick is a bit taller, with blondish hair. If you were in the pizzeria, it was Rick. Rick works maybe one shift a week in the pub, so it might have been Jeff on that side.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

She says there are 30 members on staff at FOS...and all of them are just coincidentally too frightened or ashamed to sign their name and engage in actual dialogue.

Daniel S said...

Definitely Rick cos I met Jeff before.

Bayernfan said...

Funny you say that, because the email I received about the size of the staff was signed "FOS Staff Member" instead of an actual name.

The New Albanian said...

Conway Twitty did a song about FOS: "It's Only Make Believe."