Friday, October 31, 2008

Open thread: Pre-election odds, ends and tangents.

Granted, it’s absurd that yard signs are the preferred unit of currency of local politics, but that’s the way it is in primitive societies like America.

My household is not immune.

There are four signs in our front yard, three of them touting Republican candidates (Clere, Click and Summers), and that’s positively surreal by my previous standards of voting against all Republicans as a matter of dogma. Sometimes I’m not sure that it’s really me any longer. Perhaps another actor has been signed to play me, and I didn’t get the memo.

Of course, the number four is offered in the assumption that the much-abused second Barack Obama placard has survived another night. By now, I fully expected to see it hanging from a tree somewhere, with the perpetrator feigning ignorance of any racial context.

That’s the way it is in places that value NASCAR over educational achievement.

Conversely, maybe I’m just too hungover to be doing this today, but fortunately for you, I’ll persist.

My question to you: Which candidate has the most illegally placed yard signs? Based on my own unscientific survey, I’m guessing Dr. Knable, the Democratic candidate for Coroner. I’m not sure if I’ve seen one of hers placed legally. I could be wrong, and if so, I’m sure someone will correct me. Just make sure to use your real name, and be civil about it. Loutishness may be encouraged at McCain/Palin rallies, but not here.

Below are links to the past week’s open threads. Today’s the day for whatever’s left over, up to and including their man Mitch’s re-enthronement, public instruction (does it really exist if rubes don’t know the history of lynching?), attorneys general, whether we need two assessors or one – or another number to be determined by a random spin of Fortuna’s wheel.

Open thread: In the 9th, Hill vs. Sodrel IV enlivened by the Libertarian.

Open thread: Cochran defends his House District 72 seat against Clere.

Open thread: County offices up for grabs include Treasurer, Recorder, Coroner and Surveyor.

Open thread: Elections for County Council (at-large) ... and is it relevant for us to know who the candidates support for President?

Open thread: Elections for County Commissioners.

Open thread: Elections for Floyd County Superior Court 2 & 3.

So much for homework.

Don't forget NAC’s election night super sweepstakes. It’s free, and you may enter as often as you like. The winner gets to attend a city council meeting.

If you finish second, you must attend two of them.

Did anyone catch the color of the hair on that dog?

7 comments:

Randy said...

This sums it up.

Matt Nash said...

All jokes aside, will there be community dark available by 6pm election night. I have a feeling we might need it.

Larry M. Summers said...

I could go for a Community Dark on election night, too.

Randy said...

Elector for me. Does the Calumet Club serve NABC beverages, Larry?

Larry M. Summers said...

Not sure. I was going to swing by NABC but now that I think about it, isn't there a law preventing bars from being open on election day? Well, that just ruined my fun for the night.

The New Albanian said...

The Community Dark has been brewed and is maturing. If it is ready, it'll be on tap. If not, it won't. Natural cycles, and all that.

The pizzeria is open all day, but the pub won't open until 6:00 p.m. The first 50 customers buying a pint of Elector may keep the glass. Presently I'm scrambling to get additional televisions hooked up.

In a gesture of bipartisanship, if Calumet has a place to tap it, I'll fix 'em up with a sixtel of Elector. The GOP's going to beed it.

ecology warrior said...

i wouldnt be so sure about the republicans needing it Roger, I expect they will do quite well locally given the caliber of candidates they have and the lack of a Democratic Party Charman who knows how to build coaltions within the local party factions.

They may lose the presidency and the congressional but polls point to Mitch again, sad to say and likely will take the AG and state superintendant of public instruction.

What will matter most is the local and if the Republicans do well there and Freighburger is reelected whom I am voting for, I expect some good things for the county and perhaps some movement to combine some layers of govt with the city.

So I will an ale for a mixed bag of results since I prefer a stout, welcome to fractured voting behavior