Sunday, March 30, 2008

Hillary Clinton and the mystery cutlet.

It’s ironic that during the past week …

(a) I was supposed to be writing the next installment about my visit to Sarajevo in 1987, but didn’t have time.

(b) Hillary Clinton spoke about her dangerous visit to nearby Tuzla in 1996, but lied … er, I mean, “misspoke.”

(c) Sen. Clinton then came to New Albany and entertained her fans at the South Side Inn, but revealed nothing new.

(d) I contemplated protesting her visit to New Albany by holding a sign reading “No blood for kale,” but changed my mind.

Speaking personally, I’m an Obama man, though not for reason of sexism. As suggested by one of the bar patrons Saturday evening, I’m actually a virulent ageist, rejecting the older presidential candidates in favor of the one younger (46) than I am (47.

This means that Roger’s ageist trifecta is now complete: My doctor, my lawyer and my chosen candidate for the Oval Office are all younger than me, and all I can add is a heartfelt “Hallelujah.”

While readers can consult the mainstream local media for coverage of Sen. Clinton’s starchy South Side soiree, I’d like to pass along the single funniest thing I heard about yesterday’s epic clash between Clintonian liberalism and good ol’ country cooking. It comes from my friend Todd Antz, owner of Keg Liquors in Clarksville, which has the best selection of bottled craft beers in the area.

With regard to Mrs. Clinton’s stated preference for the delights of Southern cuisine, Todd wrote:

Do you really think she feels at home at the Southside Inn? Maybe she'll stop by the Keg for a six pack of Schlitz and a bag of pork rinds for the drive to the airport?

Bill would ... but that's a whole other story.

1 comment:

John Alton said...

Schlitz & pork rinds...they are from Arkansas y'all know...Razorbacks and all. Of course it could be Mad Dog and Chitterlings..