Saturday, January 06, 2007

Pastor Manzo profiled in the Saturday edition of the Tribune.

Kudos to John Manzo, pastor at St. Marks, who scores front-page focus in the Saturday edition of the New Albany Tribune.

New Albany pastor plugged in, by Eric Scott Campbell (News and Tribune).

Here’s an excerpt:

Q: Shifting gears, technology-wise, you’ve engaged in some very spirited discussions among New Albany bloggers. What’s your general opinion of the blog medium?

MANZO: “It’s interesting in that there’s a diversity of opinions. It’s given me a greater insight into the community, as well and actually given me ... a better understanding of some of the wider concerns of the downtown. I think one of the overriding concerns of the downtown has been the poverty line is dramatically increasing. Our soup kitchen has significantly grown in size, our clothes closet has been really hit hard with people needing stuff. I keep thinking, when your soup kitchen is one of the things growing, it’s indicative that there’s something wrong someplace else.”

John’s blog is here.

John, I'm looking forward to meeting you Monday night at the meet 'n' greet. Media notoriety is great, but don’t forget the little … er, perhaps that’s not the best analogy for NA Confidential to use in this context.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, frightens me. I guess I'm not sneaking in on Monday night, am I?

The New Albanian said...

John, purely as an aside ... I clicked over to the St. Marks web site, and your photo of the church (from the Spring Street side) still shows the ex-building on the corner.

Need to get that replaced?

The photo, that is ...

(The preceding was a good-natured tweak)

G Coyle said...

John, didn't know you had your own blog - thanks for getting me in the loop Trib and NAC. I for one was not happy about the prospect of yet another old building being demo, however, I think St Mark's may have inadvertantly created the new center of town. With the right treatment that now exposed corner could be an ASSET for downtown. I'm struck by how much nicer the buildings that are left look, what do they say about pruning?

Anonymous said...

Roger,

I loved the tweak and took it as good natured and fun. And I'm glad you said something about the picture. As many times as I've looked at it, I didn't take note of that. Ugh. I'll have to have a new picture taken and post it.

Gina, yes, I do have a blog and I don't have a clue as to how to include links! AGH! It's probably way too simple and the simple logic has eluded me.

SBAvanti63 said...

Very nice article! Frankly I was disappointed that John was not one of the Tribune's "Seven to watch in '07" piece. I have been impressed by his comments, his openness with regard to the building demolition, and his search for making his church even more relevant in the downtown area. I think NA has a brighter future with John in its present.

Stephen Scott