Friday, June 23, 2006

For the record, I chose "Jesse the Revolutionary."

Chronologically advanced readers will recall that during the 1980s, I was known to submit an occasional “letter to the editor” to the New Albany Tribune.

To put it mildly.

One of these days, I’ll dip into the bulging banker’s box and unearth fragments of the archive, but for now, just one example will suffice to make the point.

After writing a letter to the Tribune in opposition to one or another of Ronald Reagan’s reactionary conservative excesses, I received a small envelope in the mail. There was no return address of any sort, only a New Albany postmark, and those being the days before one became accustomed to shaking suspicious envelopes for white powder or similar residue, I shrugged and opened it.

The crude, palsied, superannuated handwriting on a small rectangle of spiral notebook paper was brief and to the point:

Jesse the Revolutionary
Or Killer Kennedy
Who is your choice?


The note wasn’t signed.

And so it was that two decades before blogging, the first anonymous response arrived to brighten my day. It strengthened my belief – as it does today – that anonymity is a fundamentally malicious affliction undertaken by the chronically dysfunctional to exact vengeance on those who they envy for having the integrity to stand behind their words, thoughts and opinions.

Obviously, it was during those halcyon days that I first developed my severe allergy to the frequent abuses of anonymity, as manifested by the note I’ve described, but a feeling of disgust quite intensified by the Tribune’s willingness at the time to print anonymous missives.

Whatever small role I may have played in subsequently convincing the publisher to reverse the newspaper’s longstanding policy and to require the identities of writers to be revealed is a source of great personal satisfaction to me.

It’s worth remembering that the front office’s policy change came against the strenuous objections of then-editor Eddie LaDuke, himself the embodiment of the Peter Principle, who defended anonymity in much the same manner as some continue to do today (paraphrasing):

There are numerous times when adults seek to sacrifice personal integrity for the short-term satisfaction of venting of intemperance, and there are comparatively rare instances when legitimate concerns like whistle-blowing preclude disclosure of identity, and so the illegitimate former must somehow be tolerated to provide for the infrequency of the legitimate latter.

To put it bluntly, there’s nothing more patronizing than for an adult to be coddled in this manner by being informed, in effect, that he or she isn’t sufficiently sophisticated to understand the rights and responsibilities of free speech, and therefore should be permitted to spray anonymous attacks like diarrhea in the general direction of misunderstood ideas and detested real people.

It is pandering to an extreme degree, as it precludes the very real possibility that even set-in-their-ways adults can learn if provided with information and the tools of instruction, and while fears of reprisal are understood in the context of criminal informants and legitimate whistle-blowers, the vast majority of anonymous letter writers and today’s masked blog commentators have no such concern, and rather are exercising their desire to “speak out loud” without acknowledging the proper and responsible channels for doing so.

As the wag once said, we already have a Bill of Rights – now we need a Bill of Responsibilities. Free speech is a right, and it implies a responsibility, although sometime politics stands squarely in the way of understanding these points.

Right, Blogspastic?

13 comments:

Highwayman said...

THANK YOU NAC!!! My sentiments exactly.

The concept of responsibility being an inheirent part of the individuals rights equation was instilled in me at a VERY YOUNG age. For example, I understood long before I got to do it that driving was a priviledge as opposed to A GOD ORDAINED RIGHT!

Claiming one's opinion on a given subject was also a prerequisite RESPONSIBILITY to the right to the RIGHT to express it.

I could debate all day as to why these teachings were permitted to go dormant but suffice to say it has resulted in a detriment to our civilized society.

That view may not be 21st century politically correct. It is however a historically correct sign of common decency and honesty!

Ann said...

Well, I guess I'm chronologically advanced. Hmmm. Seems I recall that even back then, New Albanian was spitting out those $10 words, which actually may be $20 words now if you factor in inflation ; )

I, too, remember the days of wacky, anonymous letters to the editor in the Tribune. I received a few poison pen notes myself when once I dared to write a signed letter decrying a Tribune article that glorified trophy hunting.

It's hard to take anonymous comments too seriously, in my opinion. If you believe in an issue strongly enough to make a public statement, you need to put your name on it.

The New Albanian said...

Thanks for that, Annie.

G Coyle said...

As one who once worked with the FBI and a special grand jury as a “whistle-blower” I would like to comment on the discussion of anonymity in the public sphere. I think anonymity is counterproductive, except in extreme cases. The quick “back” story – years ago I testified against some powerful people who had threatened me. My sense of integrity demanded I say what I had witnessed, in public, with my name attached, most certainly a move which could have gotten me physically hurt. My only request was that TV news not show my face, if and when they broadcast about “it”. Eventually, the Grand Jury indicted a few people, I think a couple might still be in jail; it ruined the political career of one lieutenant governor as well. Yeah, I was afraid for a while, but it was the right thing to do and I was sick of how much otherwise good people were supporting criminal activity BY REMAINING ANONYMOUS, or worse, saying nothing. I am also aware that every day courageous people all over the planet are risking their lives to speak their truth, because they do not live in a democracy with freedom of speech. My gut tells me that to properly honor our right to freedom of speech, we have a responsibility to not abuse it with the kind of anonymous gossip and slander I see folks here call political engagement. So there’s that part and I’m basically agreeing with Highwayman up top. The other part is – who takes seriously anyone who doesn’t sign his or her name to personal communication? I don’t and I guess most people don’t. Trust and integrity do matter in the public sphere, especially. But I have been living in a “Blue State” for so long…

Tommy2x4 said...

well NAC...i think you're pretty cool and i don't even know ya, only what i've read on here...

tommy

Meatbe said...

I believe that there are times when it may be appropriate to write under a nom de plume, but that those occasions are relatively rare. If there is a legitimate fear of reprisal from someone in a position of power or authority, then I can understand the desire to make a point anonymously. Most of the time, however, it seems that anonymous writers are bent on engaging in cowardly attacks and character assassinations. When that is the case, I can give very little, if any, credence to the writer.

East Ender said...

There are different types of people who will use, or abuse, the use of anonymity.
Some, legitimately fear reprisal of some sort, if not from a job, then perhaps with friends or co-workers who are not of the same mindset.
Others, will use it as cover to hurl nasty remarks, personal insults, or slander.
The FACT is that both exist.
And it's like a lot of other things in this world. One has to accept the bad in order to get to the good.
What's puzzling is that most of the nasty anonymous insults that are being hurled around are coming from within your own ranks.
(not all, MOST)
These aren't just jabs about people's differing political opinions, these are nasty, viscous personal attacks.
Why do you suppose your own allies don't share your views on anonymity enough to avoid this type of abuse?
What causes otherwise intelligent, creative, and progressive thinkers to resort to such antics?
Has it occurred to them that their very behavior and langusge on the blogs support the notion that reprisals WILL be viscious if these folks reveal their identity?
I'm really interested in other thoughts on this.
Please skip the insults. We already know what you folks really think of our blogging opinions.

The New Albanian said...

EE spluttered: What's puzzling is that most of the nasty anonymous insults that are being hurled around are coming from within your own ranks.

"Own ranks?"

Are you suggesting that the NA Confidential editors do this?

If you are, you're being even less coherent than usual -- but then again, incoherence is a hallmark of SOLNA.

East Ender said...

Should have known better than to think there could be any kind of reasonable exchange.
NEVER MIND!

The New Albanian said...

The editors at NAC do not post anonymously at other blogs.

Our names are alongside what we write.

That's all I was attempting to clarify.

As to the source of "unreason," I'll leave it to readers to decide.

Iamhoosier said...

NAC,
I believe EE may have been writing about me, since it is probably still fresh in her mind.

I could dispute her "most" comment but will not at this time. If I am the cause of her accusation, I apologize to the NAC editorial staff.

Mark

The New Albanian said...

Mark,

Possible, but not likely. Having empowered anonymity, she enjoys pretending to "know" who her hooded correspondents are, which of course is impossible.

Proof again that reality-based discussion is best.

Iamhoosier said...

Maybe I was just having one those "the world revolves around me" moments. Whatever.