Saturday, March 12, 2005

Gravity Head +1: Curmudgeon on the D.L.

(Cross-posted at The Potable Curmudgeon)

It is perhaps a fitting conclusion to this most surreal of weeks that I've submitted to my doctor's orders and agreed not to leave the house before Monday at the earliest.

At 1:30 p.m. Friday, having finished with Gravity Head* preparations and given the monolith a downhill push (with the beer-side help of Chris, Tim and Tim - thanks, guys), I conceded the inevitable and visited the sawbones, who listened intently to the packing bubbles popping in my lungs and pronounced a verdict of "bacterial pneumonia."

I've now been juiced with antibiotics, heavy-duty prescription cough syrup and ibuprophin, which enabled me to sleep 17 straight hours last night and this morning. A vague feeling of humanity is beginning to return.

Here's what I'll remember from all this: Yesterday morning, tapping Gravity Head beers one after the other, checking the fittings, trying to make sure everything was right, affixing labels and tap handles ... and pouring a half glass of each, which was left to sit beneath the tap. My usual routine would be to smell each and take a nip, but with my physical system screaming "TILT," I was left with exactly the same aroma for 14 different beers: Welch's Grape Juice.

Not exactly useful tasting notes, although I may have seen worse.

When we returned home from the doctor's office, Diana set off for the grocery and pharmacy, asking me what I needed for the weekend. The first thing that came into my mind?

Welch's Grape Juice. Not much hop character, but it's sufficing ...

---

* Gravity Head is the annual draft beer festival at Rich O's Public House. It has become the biggest event of the year and requires much attention.

1 comment:

The New Albanian said...

Kevin

Man, I'm trying. I squeezed in 300 km during January and February, but it looks like March is going to be a big-time washout.

When and where do you ride? We should do an NA Confidential ride at some point later in the spring, perhaps combined with my hoped-for "Weird New Albany" walk and beer tasting.